Accidentally Swallowing a Toothbrush in a Patient during a Vomiting Attempt: Literature Review and Case Report
MetadataShow full item record
Swallowing disordersManual toothbrushGastroscopyCase report
Mesa-López, M.J.; Martínez-Camacho, C.; Mesa, F. Accidentally Swallowing a Toothbrush in a Patient during a Vomiting Attempt: Literature Review and Case Report. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2022, 19, 2682. [https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19052682]
Swallowing a whole toothbrush is a rare event. As of today, no case described has documented that the foreign body has passed through the entire gastrointestinal tract and has been spontaneously eliminated. Places where it is most frequently retained have been described. Only in one single case described did the foreign body reach the colon. We describe the main injuries caused by this foreign body, and the most common correct therapeutic approach for solving the problem. The third case in the literature is presented, with diagnosis and treatment of a woman who, in an attempt to induce vomiting, swallowed a toothbrush which became lodged in her stomach. The patient, at the time of the examination, only showed abdominal pain and anxiety.